Best Exercise Bike for Back Problems- Our Top 5 Recommendations
Looking for the best exercise bike for back problems? Read on! We’ve reviewed 5 best exercise bikes with back support in the market.
If you suffer from acute or chronic back pain, have spinal injury or other back problems, you might be thinking it’s time to cancel your gym membership. Well, you don’t really have to.
Exercise is great way to alleviate lower back pain while improving your spinal health. All you have to do is focus on the right workouts and use the right exercise equipment. In our extensive research, we have discovered that using an exercise bike can provide great relief to your lower back pain.
Choosing the best exercise bike for back problems however is the only way to ensure you get maximum relief from your lower back pain.
There are two main types of exercise bikes:
- Recumbent Exercise Bikes
- Upright Exercise Bikes
So what is the difference between the two?
A recumbent bike is a type of stationary bike that places the user in a reclined seating position as opposed to an upright seating position. These exercise bikes are often favored for their ergonomic designs which reduce the amount of stress that a user’s own weight places on the points of contact with the bike.
The come with backrests which provide users with great back support as well as comfort.
In other words, the bike effectively spreads out the user’s weight over a large surface area that is supported by the back and buttocks. And by allowing you to sit in a laid-back position, recumbent bikes are generally a good choice for people with back pain.
Unlike upright exercise bikes, recumbent bikes are also gentle on your joints. Your hip joints, knee joints, and ankles are properly protected from injurious impact during workouts. This makes these bikes a great choice for people with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Another incredible feature about recumbent bikes is that their seats are much larger and therefore comfortable. Upright bikes tend to have smaller seats, and this makes them pretty uncomfortable. That’s why most people prefer recumbent bikes for lower back pain.
Additionally, recumbent bikes are an excellent choice for people with neurological conditions as it allows for low impact body workouts.
That being said, let’s have a look at the Top 10 Best Exercise Bike for Back Problems
Best Exercise Bike for Bad Back Comparison Table
Best Exercise Bike for Back Problems- Our Top 5 Picks
1.Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike– Our Best Exercise for Back Problems Top Pick
The Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike happens to be one of the best recumbent exercise bikes with good back support. So if you’re looking for the best exercise machine for lower back pain, you might want to have a look at the Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike.
So what makes this exercise back ideal for back problems?
Well, first things first, the exercise bike comes with a Large Seat Cushion and Backrest. Now, these are two important features that make a good exercise bike for back problems. The large seat can comfortably accommodate users of any size, so comfort is without a doubt a guarantee. As a back support exercise bike, this bike comes with a backrest is designed to offer you excellent back support and comfort. It’s also great if you have poor posture.
The recumbent bike also features a 3-Piece High Torque Crank System that provides an incredibly smooth and consistent pedaling motion. Additionally, its Precision Balanced Flywheel and V-Belt Drive provides a smooth and quiet operation. This means that you can comfortable watch TV or listen to music without noise interference.
The Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Exercise Bike also features an 8-Level Magnetic Tension Control System that allows you to easily adjust the tension level for an easier or more difficult workout.
Other notable features of the Exerpeutic Recumbent Exercise Bike include:
- Hand Pulse Sensors on the handle bars that target your heart rate zone
- A Large, Easy to Read LCD Display that indicates the speed, time, calories burned, pulse, scan, as well as distance covered. Allows you to monitor your progress
- Semi-Recumbent Design which allows users to get on and off the bike with great ease. Great for users who dislike the hassle involving getting on and off Upright Exercise Bikes. The design also provides users with a more effective and comfortable workout
- 300 Pounds Maximum Weight Capacity, which makes it a one of the best recumbent bikes for heavy people.
- Sturdy and Durable Construction: The Recumbent exercise bike is made to last. Should last you for years
- Foldable Design– Designed to fold at least half its size for hassle-free storage. Folded Dimensions are 20L by 17W by 54H
Exerpeutic 400XL Recumbent Bike Pros and Cons
- Comfortable and large seating surface area
- Provides excellent back support and comfort
- Excellent for individuals with chronic back pain, spinal stenosis, spinal injury, neurological conditions, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis
- Ergonomic design
- Easy to get on and off
- Comfortable for extended workouts
- Easy to adjust tension/resistance level
- Allows for easy progress monitoring
- Perfect for users of any size or shape
- Sturdy and durable construction
- High weight capacity
- Great value for money
- Quiet Operation- Listen to music or Watch TV while working out
- Full leg extension may not be possible especially if you’re tall
- Some customers feel the seat is too hard- Others seem to have no problem with it though
- No backlighting on the screen
- Handle bar and pulse sensor are situated too low, which may not be idea for short people with short arms
Next in line is the Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike.
Because it comes with a backrest, this recumbent bike tops the list as one of the best bike for lower back pain. Like the 400XL model, the 900XL comes with a Large Seat and Backrest to accommodate users of all sizes. It’s also sturdy enough to accommodate users of up to 300 pounds.
The 900XL recumbent bike’s ergonomic, Step-Through design provides an easy on and off design, as well as a more effective and comfortable workout.
The exercise bike is also characterized by an 8 Level Magnetic Tension System to allow you customize your ride and challenge yourself over time. The LCD Display is large and easy to read. You can easily monitor your workout progress as the display screen indicates crucial details like calories burned, time, speed, distance, as well as your heart rate.
Other notable features include:
- Hand Pulse Sensors to allow you stay within your Target Heart Rate Zone
- Transportation Wheels to allow for easy, hassle-free relocation of the exercise bike
- Precision Balanced Flywheel and V-Belt drive for smooth and quiet operation
- Easy and Quick seat adjustments
- Smooth “Torque” Cranking System for smooth and consistent pedaling motion
- Folding Waterproof PVC Equipment Mat to protect your floor from damage and reduce noise
Product Dimensions: 54 inches Length x 22 inches Weight x 34 inches Height
Product Weight: 63 Pounds
Exerpeutic 900XL Exercise Bike with Back Support Pros and Cons
- Provides excellent back support and prevents back injury and discomfort
- Provides excellent comfort and support, thanks to its large seat
- Large backrest and seat accommodates users of all sizes
- Magnetic Tension System provides ideal resistance for easier or difficult workouts
- Easy to monitor progress, thanks to its large and clear LCD Display Screen
- Hand Pulse Sensors allow you to stay within your Target Heart Rate Zone
- Allows for Quiet Operation
- Transportation Wheels allow for easy relocation of the exercise bike
- High-Weight Capacity- Can comfortable accommodate users of up to 300 pounds
- Sturdy and durable construction for many years of use
- Floor mat protects floor while reducing noise
- Large pedals provide large surface area for pedaling and comfort
- Affordable- Great value for the price
- Few complaints about experiencing difficulties during assembly
- Assembly instructions are structured with poor English, which makes them tough to follow
- Some people complained about experiencing difficulties while adjusting the sea
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709 is one of the most popular and best exercise bikes for bad back. One of the features than makes it an excellent choice for people with back problems is the fact that it comes with a backrest.
Because it’s an exercise bike with back support, it allows you to sit in laid-back position, providing your back with the support it needs to prevent back pain. So if you’re in search for the best recumbent bike for back problems, the ME-709 is an excellent choice.
The recumbent bike also comes with a Large, Comfortable Padded Seat that offers great support and comfort while pedaling off those calories. The seat is also large enough to accommodate users of different sizes.
The exercise bike’s compact design fits perfectly even in the smallest exercise spaces. It also features 8 Pre-set Levels of smooth magnetic resistance that is delivered by eddy current, providing you with a smooth and consistent pedaling motion. The Tension Knob Control also allows you to customize your workout according to your ideal fitness level.
Its Step-Through Design makes it mounting and dismounting the bike effortless, not to mention that it does not cause strain on the knees and back. And this is another major reason why its considered as one of the best exercise bike for back problems.
Other incredible features of the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike include:
- Large and East to Read LCD Computer Display Screen that displays distance, speed, time, and calories burned. The display screen basically allows you to monitor your workout progress
- Large, comfortable, and CounterBalanced Pedals with foot straps that provide maximal foot support while offering ultimate control. The footstraps are designed to offer a perfect fit for your feet
- Sturdy Construction– Made with heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish. The exercise bike should last you for years.
Product Dimensions: 55.5 x 25 x 37.5 inches
Product Weight: 61 Pounds
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Backrest Pros and Cons
- Features a Step-Through-Design for quick mounting and dismounting
- Provides excellent support for your lower back while exercising
- Great choice for people with lower back pain and joint complications
- Padded seat provides the comfort you need for your workouts
- Counterbalanced pedals provide maximum foot support
- Footstraps provide a perfect fit
- Makes it easy to monitor your workout progress
- Allows you to customize your workouts according to your fitness level
- Compact design that allows it to fit easily in smaller exercise spaces
- Great for burning calories, shaping, and toning your body
- Affordable- it’s one of the most affordable recumbent bikes in the market
- One complaint about the bike lacking High Tension Settings
- Complaint about the bike lacking programs like weight loss and mountain
- Armrests are located a little bit lower, which is inconvenient for taller guys
The top 3 recumbent bikes that we’ve already reviewed are on the low price end. If you have a tight budget and want an exercise back with good back support, these three are an excellent choice. However, if you’re looking for a high-end exercise bike that offers all those state-of-the-art features- and are ready to pay a high price for it, then look no further than the Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike.
So what makes the Schwinn Recumbent Bike one of the best bikes for lower back pain?
Well, first things first, the fact that it’s a recumbent bike means that it allows you to seat in a relaxed, laid back position for better lower back support. This relaxed body positioning and lower-back support basically lets you ride in maximum comfort with minimum strain on your back and knees.
The Schwinn 230 exercise bike also features a Vented Contoured Seat that easily and quickly adjusts in the fore/aft position. The seat is designed to slide so as to accommodate a variety of positions for multiple users. The vented seat comes with a Lumbar Support for extra comfort and cooling. The Vented Seat Bottom with Countoured Leg area provides extra comfort in your legs while preventing fatigue.
The recumbent exercise bike also comes with a new oversized console that makes tracking your workout progress easy and hassle-free. The console features a SchwinnDualTrack two LCD window system, 22 programs, 2 user-settings, SchwinnConnect goal tracking, data exchange to SchwinnConnect and/or Myfitnesspal.com.
Other notable features of the Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike include:
- 20-levels of eddy current resistance
- Flywheel with high speed and high inertia to keep all your workouts smooth and quiet
- Integrated levers and center frame support for a solid workout platform
- Comes with transport wheels for easily movement and maneuvering across the room
- Ergonomically placed grip heart rate for easy and comfortable use with heart rate programs
- 3-speed fan to keep you super cool during your workouts
- Static handle bars to allow you get on and off the bike with great ease
- 300 Pounds weight capacity- great for heavy users
- Acoustic chamber speakers for quality music sound
Product Dimensions: 66.5 x 27 x 12.5 inches
Product Weight: 81.6 pounds
Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike with Backrest Pros and Cons
- Seat is large and vented for comfort and cooling during workouts
- Seat comes with lumbar support for additional lower back support and reduced fatigue
- Contoured leg area provides more comfort and minimizes leg fatigue
- Slider seat rail system accommodates a variety of positions for multiple users
- Powerful monitoring system with two LCD Display screens
- Provides smooth, quiet, and consistent workouts
- Comes with a high-speed fan to keep you cool during your workouts
- Heart rate monitor is built into the handlebars to allow easy monitoring of your heart rate
- Comprehensive Warranties for Peace of Mind- 10 Yeas Frame warranty, 2 years mechanical warranty, 1 year electrical warranty, 90 days labor
- High weight capacity- 300 lbs
- Built-in speakers for quality music sound while exercising
- Transport wheels allow for easy relocating
- Premium construction for excellent stability and durability
- Easy, hassle-free assembly
- Excellent choice for people with bad backs
- Smooth pedaling
- Numerous positive reviews from happy customers
- However, when you look at the features present, the Schwinn 230 recumbent exercise bike is definitely a great value for your money
- Complaint about lack of resistance backwards
Stamina is reputed for high-quality exercise and fitness equipment like inversion table and inversion chairs. Their Recumbent exercise bike is no exception.
Stamina Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Exercise Bike is one of the best exercise bikes for back pain. This is all thanks to its padded backrest which provides you with great comfort and support while in working out. It also features a padded seat for extra comfort and support to your buttocks, and is large enough to distribute your weight evenly.
The seat is adjustable, so its easy to find a position you feel most comfortable in- whether you’re tall, short, big or small.
The Stamina Recumbent Bike also features Textured Pedals whose purpose is to keep your feet stabilized while pedaling.
That’s not all…
The recumbent exercise bike with magnetic resistance comes with a Dial Tension Control Knob that lets you customize your workout intensity.
Because the exercise bike is designed help you achieve your fitness potential while protecting your back, the Stamina Recumbent Bike sports a multi-function InTouch one button control monitor to track your stats while pedaling. On the monitor, you can easily see the calories burned, speed, distance, and pulse. Also included are 6 preset fitness programs with a pace guide to match your goals.
Other incredible features of the Stamina Recumbent Exercise Bike include:
- Pulse Sensors which are situated on the handle bar to allow you monitor your heart rate while exercising
- Sturdy frame for durability and stability
- Workout wheels for easy transportation
- Padded, molded handlebars for comfort
Product Dimensions: 56L x 26W x 33.5H inches
Product Weight: 65 pounds
Stamina Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Exercise Bike Pros and Cons
- Provides excellent support to your back while preventing back pain
- Padded seat prevents fatigue and protects you back
- Seat’s is ergonomically designed for improved posture
- Walk-through design for easy mounting and dismounting the bike
- Allows easy heart rate monitoring
- Easy to use monitor for tracking your progress
- Easily customize your workout intensity
- Adjustable seating position
- Sturdy construction for lasting durability
- Backed by manufacturer’s warranty
- Provides great feet support and stability
- East to transport
- A little bit heavy (at 65 pounds), although the transport wheels make it easy to move it from one room to another
- Doesn’t come cheap, but it’s surely a great value for money
- Seat is a little bit hard (according to one customer)
Best Exercise Bike with Back Support- Wrapping it Up
An exercise bike is one exercise equipment that can allow you reach your fitness goals while providing unmatched back support. All the recumbent bikes we’ve reviewed have a backrest, which means your back is protected. Hopefully, you’ll now be in a position to choose the best exercise bike for back problems. Good luck!
Read more posts;